Re: Digest Number 2123

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:03:49 -0700 (PDT)

Mis Amigos,

Boy, I�ve been busy.
But I took a quick spin through this issue, with some resultant quick comments on some random things�

> From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Sartar/Larnste
>
> Good point. It could well be that all he did was learn enough to
> accomplish what he needed, and never became a member of the Brotherhood,
> and thus never became bound by their curse.

I do not know of Sartar himself ever being an actual part of the Larnstings. He certainly hung around with them for a while and studied with them, but never committed himself via initiation to be one.

> From: Tony Davis <gallows_brother_at_...>
> Subject: RE: Re: Larnsti Brotherhood
>

> I think that Make Page Speak would work out loud as
> active magick and only work in your own head as
> passive magick. Or enhance your 'Read X' skill if you
> are reading it to yourself or enhance your Oratory if
> you are reading it outloud.
>
> "It was like I was there..."

Yea, me too. The user �hears� it.

> From: donald_at_...
> Subject: Re: Those Ker-razy Romans (Was Re: Larnsti Brotherhood)

Wow, nice discourse.
I will like to see what Martin L. says about this (if he still has time for such).

> From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Re: Steal Woods and the Heortland Plateau
>
> LC wrote:
>
>>Hang on a tic, now a memory is rattling in my brain that Sartar was an
>>initiate of Issaries. Or am I remembering that wrong?
>
> The only relevant statement is during a Lore Auction at one of the
> Down Under Glorantha-Cons which said that Sartar was "trying to
> replace" Issaries. This however is his activities in Kerofinela
> and not upon leaving Heortland.

I might use the same words today before a live audience. He was using his Issaries powers.
Here�s a natural passageway between different peoples, through a land of disunity. Natural fertile grounds to exercise ones� Issaries skills.

> From: "Mike Holmes" <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Those Ker-razy Romans (Was Re: Larnsti Brotherhood)

Great credentials for the discussion!

> For Glorantha, I'm betting that there is no such rotation, and that the
> system is largely "regimental." Meaning that the troops from one unit are
> all from one place.

Yes.

> What this means is that Gloranthan armies are either feudal, or standing
> armies.

The Lunar Empire has a standing army.

> Standing armies are drastically limited in size due to cost. The
> Romans only managed it by a continuing series of conquests. In any case,
> what this means is that the entire armies are professionals (as opposed to
> feudal armies where they are untrained peasant levies, or conscript armies
> which are trained non-professionals AKA Privates). Which means, yes, like
> in the Roman structure, men can rise in rank to he point where the duties
> become politically important. At which point the nobility takes over.

OK--no, better than OK so Good Job--but now a tiny twist.

It is POSSIBLE for that local guy to enter the cult of Yanafil Tarnils and thereby accrue some �imperial cred� and possibly work his way into working directly for the upper echelons, with a possible &tc. &tc. for his career.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc., publisher of HeroQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha. 2140 Shattuck Ave., pmb #2030, Berkeley, CA 94704 See our site at <www.HeroQuest-rpg.com>.