Re: Re: Wyter

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:33:40 -0500

Charles Corrigan wrote:

> --- Mike Gibb wrote:
> > Just a quick question - what exactly is a clan's 'wyter'. When I
> > first saw the term used I thought it was reffering to the clan
> > warband, but as I understand it now it is the patron spirit (sorry
> > daimone?) of the clan/warband. And that Lunar units etc. have
> > similar.

> There are cool rules for this in Thunder Rebels!

Spot on.

> But seriously, a wyter (or vexilla for Lunars) is a daimone that is
> summoned/attracted when an organisation is founded using a formal
> foundation ritual. It usually resides in a physical item (an iron
> ring is frequently used by clans). It has a variety of standard
> powers, the most important of which is being the focus of HQ
> community benefits - so if the physical item is stolen, the members
> of the coomunity lose the benefit (plus it is a mythically double
> plus bad thing for a community to lose its wyter).
>
> regards,
> Charles

I belive that the community is _destroyed_ with the passing of the wyter or the destruction of its 'body'. Fortunately this is hard to do. But even if all the people are gone and the lands taken, if the regalia still exists, the CLAN still exists.

Prince Sartar (whichever one it was) uses this little trick to bring back his ancestral clan (name forgotten for the moment but I see to think it was the Karandoli or something like that) and bring them back from the Other Side where they had been taken. This let him claim membership in the Colymar tribe.

Jeff