RE: Alien Worlds and Great Darkness

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 03:12:42 +0300 (EEST)

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Jane Williams wrote:

> > In HeroQuest game terms, a character in an Alien Otherworld like the
> > Great Darkness is at -20 in all his abilities. ...
>
> ISTR it being mentioned recently that the rules on Alien Otherworld
> Modifiers have changed between HW and HQ in some way: they've effectively
> vanished, or something, unless you're doing a full God Plane HQ (which a new
> initiate probably isn't). I may well have misunderstood this, though.

I've always found them very problematic. I don't think the statistics in Anaxials roster for instanse read like they would always have the -20 for being in the inner world.

I mostly ignore the alien world penalties, or get some more subtle effects for it. like only magic (affinities, spells) are effected, and not things like fighting-skills, social relationships or size!

I appreciate what the people have been trying to do with them, (a powerful demon shouldn't feel right at home in the mortal world, or they would have taken over by now), but the +/- 20 is a huge penalty.

Take Harrek 10w4 vs. a 10w3 Certamus. If we move the fight to the sky-realm the Certamus get's a +30 change to power, while Harrek goes down -20. Here we have a hero of the mightiest caliber at 10w3 and a run of the mill sky-warrior at 20w4. Harrekdoesn't really stand a chanse.

I don't think the numbers work right,

        -Adept