Re: Winter Animist Practice or Tradition

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:49:30 -0700 (PDT)

Logically, there have to be two questions here (please check my logic):
  1. Are Inora and White Princess the same entity?
  2. If so, is this entity a spirit or a goddess?

On the first, there is plenty of evidence that -- outside of Glorantha -- people believed they were the same entity. Is there incontrovertible in-Glorantha evidence proving that they are the same entity? They might just be similar, and thus often confused for one another. Inora could be more of the goddess of the mountaintops; where White Princess is the spirit that brins snow to the Greatlands.

All that said, if they are the same, I would tend towards her being a divine entity. This is not because of textual references, but because of story line. I don't think there was snow in Genert's Garden. Stephen Martin has a wonderful story online about why this was the case, but that story is not necessarily The Truth. Perhaps she was originally an Outlander who came to the Garden, and that's why she was imprisoned. Her being an Outlander explains why she is not a spirit (especially to Praxians). Praxians would have to worship her by misapplied worship then.

Chris Lemens

(Not an ad: If you have a little extra money to donate to a good cause, check out http://www.modestneeds.org/.)

Do You Yahoo!?