Re: Re: Winter Animist Practice or Tradition

From: Darran <darransims_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 00:22:44 +0100

Greetings and Salutations
2005-06-21-0000.

Hi All,
Sorry that I haven't replied sooner but not been following the lists recently due to work and real life getting in the way again.

Alison Place wrote:
> I was in the Tentacles game, and certainly remember
> Inora. We went seriously OTT, and ending up freezing
> a whole Lunar legion in its tracks to save the Summer
> Child from being stolen away from our tribe by the
> Lunars.

The game was written and ran by me exclusively at Tentacles Grandezza 2005. The game was called 'Winter Warriors' and it will be appearing in YBoT #6 along with the Inora write-up pending Issaires approval. The game itself was set during the time of Orlanth's death in the great Fimbulwinter. All the player characters were written up by the players before the game. The players had a choice of playing any Heortling Occupation and either being Inora devotees or being Inora initiates AND initiates to another deity. The players picked to be Inora devotees and either warriors or hunters. The characters they wrote up were very good, I wish I had made a copy of each before they went. I wanted to do a skiing game due to the ski holidays I have but two of my players, Alison and Ian, were even more informed on 'snow' and 'cold weather' than I was.

I ran the game because I found an image of an old painting on the web that inspired me. Painted by Knud Larsen Bergslien of the Birkebeinere warriors saving the life of Håkon Håkonsson, the 13th century Norse King.

See:
http://www.inga-lami.com/mystery.htm

I will be running it again at the next Tentacles in 2006 and I may have the sequels written by then as well.

> There were several Lunar sorcerors involved, but they
> didn't have the deep connection to the winter wonders
> of Inora that we did, even though they were busy
> conjuring with cold magic. We froze their socks off
> first.

Arhh! Good old Lunar sorcerers, where would we be without them as adversaries?

> Other than that, I can't remember too much of the
> ins-and-outs of Inora worship. White ice, black ice
> and blue ice were mentioned, with Blue Ice being the
> coldest of the three. The weekend being as crowded as
> it was, I'm even drawing a blank on who ran the game.

Black Ice or Snow is the coldest and Inora has [possibly] the only *friendly* access to it. The Makubus sorcerers could only call up Blue Ice, plus they weren't very nice to the Ice Sprites anyway. ;-)

> But go ahead with either Inora or the Winter Princess
> as you wish. Neither (if they aren't the same) has
> been worked on too much, so they're quite open to
> development. One thing that had definitely been
> discussed on the HQ digest quite recently was that
> Inora is the goddess of the sheltering snows, who
> helps preserve the life of the land from her father
> Valind's cruel cold.

That is one of her feats 'Protective Snow Blanket'. I do see her as Inora Goddess of the Mountain Snow for the Heortlings and though not Great or as Important for most, she does help those lonely mountain herders and hunters. She becomes important in the Fimbulwinter as she can help the few Heortlings that revere her to survive through these bad times.