Re: Counter-insurgency and Guerilla

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:41:33 -0800

My main point here is that guerilla warfare can be and often has been a very successful form of warfare for a weaker force against a stronger one. As it is in Sartar.

At 03:39 PM 1/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>> And let's remember, there has been only one or two successful counter
>insurgency wars in all the military history that I am aware of.
>
>How about, just what comes to mind ...
>The British in Malaya and Kenya in this century.
Malaya is one, I agree.
Kenya I am unfamiliar with, I am afraid. Can you simply cite me a source to see, and a date?

>The US conquest of sundry Native American peoples.
I don't count this as the saem thing at all, especially since a vastly superior technology but especially disease were so influential.

>The Albigensian Crusade.

I wouldn't count it since it was nobles versus nobles, and sure the people resisted for a while, but will grant it anyway.

>Many, many revolts suppressed by medieval rulers.
I wouldn't count those either since they were small local operations and a certain size of rebellion is necessary.

BUT, even if we grant all the above to be cases that did work, they still are a tiny minority compared to those which have failed.

>The issue is complicated because in modern times you can almost never
>completely eliminate an insurgent force. Most states these days are not
>willing to go to the extremes of mass deportation or genocide that would
>have been used in ancient times.

Greg Stafford
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>