Re: Winter Spirits

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 04:48:50 -0700 (PDT)

I had been looking for in-world evidence that people in Glorantha knew that Inora was White Princess. The point of that search was that, without it, one could decide that Inora and White Princess were really different beings because it would do no harm to what Gloranthans� established stories and beliefs. In that vein, I said, of the Prosopeadia:

> > There is some evidence that is somewhat ambiguous
as
> > to whether it is in-world or not.

> Tales #14 isn't written in an in-world style and
> neither is the prosopeadia.

OK. With that take, it is no evidence of what Gloranthans believe.

> > So, first off, this is the Prosopeadia, which
> > equates lots of things. I think of this as either
> > an external viewpoint or a God Learner view point.
> > I could be wrong, but I thought there were other
> > instances in which the Prosopaedia lumped together
> > things we now believe (or have been told) are
different.

> Such as?

How about Lodril and Bab-u-Ladra, just as an example? Or the sky/fire gods of the Empire and those of Teshnos? IIRC, the Prosopaedia tells us they are the same, but Gloranthans don�t know this. Hence, it is either an external viewpoint or a God Learner document.

> And if the Prosopaedia is a God Learner viewpoint,
how do
> you explain that the God Learners were active in
Prax and
> Heortland would make the silly mistake as confusing
a god
> with a spirit?

A fine point. Presumably, if they were genuinely different entities, the God Learners would have known that one was a spirit and the other a goddess. That said, when the Prosopaedia was written, the difference between divine and spirit entities were not so significant in gaming terms.

> > Assuming that they are the same, is she goddess or
spirit?
> > This says goddess.

> And it says Waha is a God and Oakfed is a God and
> all that. Likewise for me to take this argument
> seriously would require me to entertain that all the
> spirits in �Nomad Gods" are actually Gods because of
> the game title.

You are putting words in my mouth that I already disclaimed. This was not an argument that because one particular source says she is a goddess, she must be. The point was that the sources use the terms spirit and goddess interchangeably, so neither usage is meaningful.

> > My only point was that, if you have to invalidate
> > either the stories asserting that she is a goddess
> > or the stories asserting that she is a spirit,

> I'm not invalidating any stories asserting that she
> is a goddess. There is only slim textual reference
> in TR and ST which make the same category mistake
> with respect to Kolat, Malia and Velhara.

A few points here. First, I should have said �textual references� rather than stories. There are extremely few stories about Inora. Second, at least TR and ST balances the references to other spirits as �gods� by expressly stating elsewhere that they are spirits. It fails to do so for Inora. Third, there are enough other textual references to Inora as a goddess that deciding she is a spirit invalidates at least some. In this particular case, the textual reference that makes no sense if Inora is a spirit is TR 135 (very bottom of the page) that asserts that Inora�s House is in the God World. Spirits cannot live in the God World; even spirits worshipped with misapplied worship create a false home in the Spirit World (see Heroquest 110).

> > you could do so without grotesque violence to the
> > Praxian stories by adding the partially
explanatory
> > assertion that she was an outsider.

>I'm not doing violence to any Praxian Stories.

I didn�t say you were.

> Urox is worshipped in both Dragon Pass and Prax
> without anybody suggesting that he's an outsider
> yet both people acknowledge that he's the same.
> Ditto with Gagarth.

Fair points.

> > I don't think the fact that shamans can contact
her
> > proves she is a spirit. Shamans can contact
Orlanth
> > as Rain Man and Humakt as Sword Man.

> Does either god appear as a Spirit in Nomad Gods?
> No.

So, your rule is that any entity appearing in Nomad Gods is a spirit? What is your rationale for that rule?

> > The HQ rules are pretty express that shamans can
> > actually go to an otherworld (I can't recall
> > whether it is the god plane or the hero plane, but
> > logically, it must be the god plane) and have a
> > "safe zone" created by the god that they worship
> > with ecstatic rites as if it was a spirit.

> The HQ rules are not as explicit as that.

See Heroquest page 110.

> Firstly worship is conducted through worshipping
> of a divinity in the wrong way which creates a
> "false home" and a Shaman is not required.

Yes, true, but the heroes will need something like Spirit World Travel or Oper Spirit World to leave the natural world.

> The "false home" appears on the plane of the
> relevant ritual, not the original plane.

I think this is contradicted by Heroquest page 110. How do you read it differently?

Chris Lemens

(Not an ad: If you have a little extra money to donate to a good cause, check out http://www.modestneeds.org/.)

Do You Yahoo!?