Re: A Good Cop

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:31:02 +0100

donald_at_... writes:

>The modern concept of a police force dates back to the 19th Century.
>Prior to that there were two strands to law enforcement - the local
>watch and the army.

Plus, in some cases, the general citizenry of the town, who might also be under an obligation to enforce the law.

>From the 10th-century Laws of King Athelstan:
(summary: if somebody refuses to submit to the King's justice, all the 'chief men' of the town are obliged to ride out and apprehend him. For their pains they get half his goods, the other half going to the King; and the kin of the fugitive are not allowed to seek revenge for this).

21. If any one, when summoned fail to attend the court (gemot) thrice; let him pay the king's fine (oferhyrnes), and let it be announced seven days before the court is to be. But if he will not do right, nor pay the fine; then let all the chief men belongirg to the town (burh) ride to him, and take all that he has, and put him under a pledge of surety (bohr).

But if any one will not ride with his fellows, let him pay the king's fine. And let it be announced at the court, that an amnesty (frith) be kept toward all that the king wills to be within the amnesty, and theft be foregone by his life and by all that he has.

And he who for the punishment not desist, then let all the chief men belonging to the town ride to him, and take all that he has; and let the king take possession of half, of half the men who may be in the riding; and place him under pledge.

If he knows not who will be his surety, let them imprison him. If he will not suffer it, let him be killed, unless he escape. If any one will avenge him, or be at feud with any of them, then be he foe of the king, and to all his friends. If he escape, and any one harbour him, let him be liable to his wergild; unless he shall dare to clear himself by the outlaw's wergild, that he knew he was an outlaw (flyma).

##

That looks to me like the origin of the 'posse' of Western movie fame. "Law enforcement" PCs in such an environment might find themselves having to organise and lead such posses - first overcoming the reluctance of solid, upstanding citizens to get involved in something as uncomfortable and potentially dangerous as chasing an outlaw through forest and swamp!

Stephen