re: A Good Cop

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:14:44 -0400

Light Castle:

> I was hoping to pick the brains of all you smart people a bit.

> A player joining my game wants to basically make a police officer. As
> some of you know, I'm playing in Karse just post-invasion, and he wants
> to play someone who was some sort of officer of the law before hand,
> dealing with the aftermath.

Various people have quoted examples from British history.

You might also consider the Roman practice, of which a good fictional treatment is the Falco series by Lindsey Davis. Official law enforcement is in the hands of the vigiles, who started out as firemen but also have a role in dealing with crime. There are also the 'private eyes', informers, who may work either for private individuals or people in government in any given case.

Andrew