Re: A Good Cop

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:46:54 -0400

On Thu, 2005-23-06 at 13:31 +0100, Stephen Tempest wrote:

> That looks to me like the origin of the 'posse' of Western movie fame.
> "Law enforcement" PCs in such an environment might find themselves
> having to organise and lead such posses - first overcoming the
> reluctance of solid, upstanding citizens to get involved in something
> as uncomfortable and potentially dangerous as chasing an outlaw
> through forest and swamp!

It is the origin of the posse. (Posse comitatus -- "power of the country".)

For me, of course, I always found it amusing that the power of the posse (especially the idea that if the watch raises a "hue and cry" it is everyone's duty to help hunt down the criminal) was used in White Wolf's Vampire game without any mention of its historical roots.

LC