RE: Re: Inora/Whitey

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:09:30 -0500

>From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>

>What an entity really is is provable, but it is difficult to prove. (After
>all, you have to survive that -20 alien world modifier. And maybe some
>False Homes are really hard to leave.) Some cultures' leaders might know
>they are engaged in Misapplied Worship and not tell the underlings.

I think it's a contextual problem. The Aeolian goes to the God world to visit his saint there, thinking that it's the essence world. He sees that just outside of the "safe zone" that things are dangerous. Maybe he ventures out and finds out that it's very hostile. Then he comes home and reports that the otherworld is a dangerous place.

An Orlanthi comes by and discusses it with him, telling him that when he goes to his God world that the area outside of Orlanth's stead is peaceful and welcoming. Well, until you get to the part with the Dara Happan gods.

And the Aeolian goes, ahhh, see, he's just trying to convince me that his ways are better somehow.

Basically, unless you give the Aeolian heroquester an equivalent experience in the other religion's otherworld - and how often does that happen - he's going to simply believe that all other religions have the same difficulties that his religion has. And that claims to the contrary are simply propaganda or just jingoistic building up of one's one culture. Boasting.

Mike