Re: Re: The Lunar Way - Wizardry

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:33:30 GMT

In message <BAY103-F453D83A224615D85B2CDEA8EE0_at_...> "Mike Holmes" writes:

>Right now, I hadn't actually decided whether or not my character as on board
>with the Lunar Way precisely. But from the write-ups that I'd seen, it
>seemed to me that it was already sort of a done deal. Check out here:
>http://www.glorantha.com/hw/cultshort_malakinus.html
>
>"Malakinus was adopted without hostility by the Lunars after they conquered
>Carmania, when Carmanos was revealed to be a previous incarnation of the Red
>Goddess preparing for her own full appearance."
>
>Basically Sedenya becomes a prophet here. It sound's, however, like this is
>already in the Lunar Way. Is the idea that there are some Carmainian Orders
>that are part of the Lunar Way, and others that aren't? Is the question in
>regard to non-Luarized Carmanian Wizardry Orders?
>
>Certainly a member of the Cerise Church has embraced the Lunar Way, right?
>So are there other orders as well? In any case, if there is a Carmanian
>non-Lunar Order, how would it likely feel about, say, the Cerise Church, and
>it's members joining those orders (I've been thinking about having my
>character get to know the Hensheleks better...)? If they're a Lunarized
>order, then is there any neccessary problem between these orders? I mean, I
>realize that there might be some political problems in theory, but is there
>anything that neccessarily makes these orders antithetical?
>
>Perhaps some of the central beliefs about Sedenya as prophet vs Sedenya as
>bringer of mathematical truth?

I'd play it that most Carmenian orders are Lunarised but some aren't, just for the MGF. The ones that aren't tend to be fringe groups who may be supressed by the authorities and some accuse the Lunarised ones of heresay against Makan.

Of course your wizard may follow the belief's of his order or have slightly different ideas.

>Oh, and BTW, when they say "Lunar Sorcerer" who are they refering to most
>often? That is, who is it that the Orlanthi hate so much? Is any Lunar
>considered a Sorcerer by the Orlanthi even if they're Initiates of Yelm or
>somesuch? Or just the actual wizards? Or just the actual sorcerers per the
>definition of one apostate from all orders? And which religion? I'd imagine
>that the Carmanians are probably few in Sartar? And the Cerise Church folks
>seem so nice and/or meek. Is it just the wizards from the College of Magic
>to whom this refers? What saints do those guys follow.

I think the Orlanthi will mean someone who uses strange magic. Those who can distinguish between theistic and monotheistic magic may well use the term to refer just to the latter. The whole wizard/sorcerer split seems to be a western concept and the Lunars probably don't bother too much with it. So some schools of the CoM will worship Lunar saints while others don't bother with saints.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/