Re: Beat-Pot Aelwrin's revolt

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:53:51 +1200

At 06:28 PM 7/1/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>The basic story is great - savage Pentan horse nomad gets captured
>and forced to become a slave. Assigned to the kitchen, he learned
>to cook and discovered he was truly the Iron Chef of the Empire. He
>served various in the households of various increasingly important
>nobles, until he was in a position of trust. At the right moment (I
>think Earth Season 1615) he organized a slave rebellion and,

Beatpot's revolt was in 1610 or thereabouts as the revolt that caused half of kostaddi to revolt is the same revolt that led to Duke Raus's exile from Rone.

>I imagine that Aelwrin's revolt caught the Provincial
>Overseer and the Heartland nobles by complete surprise.

The Provincial Overseer has no authority within Kostaddi which is a Heartland Sultannate. He would be surprised at the news but it is something for which he has no responsibility.

>Maybe
>the Satrap of Kostaddi petitioned the Emperor to unlease Shargash
>upon the ransacking mob and kill every peasant in southern
>Kostaddiland.

The Satrap of Kostaddi is not Dara Happan but Khan of the Hungry Plateau. He has more than sufficient troops to contain any insurgency rather than plead for the help of some god not numbered among his ancestors.

>Maybe the Provincial Overseer demanded that the
>provinces levy an army to stop the mob.

Since the Border between the Heartlands and the Provinces can be compared to the Rubicon, if the Provincial Overseer did make such a request, he would clapped in chains on the charge of rebellion.

>Instead, the Emperor sent JarEel. She came alone to Aelwin and
>seduced him into the Lunar Way.

That's one way of looking at it. JarEel was in deep disgrace as the result of her failure to protect the Emperor from Harshaltar the Terrible and didn't redeem herself until she had assassinated the Pharaoh. Any action she took here was not at the Emperor's behest but her own. The imperial action is noted elsewhere - the Legion of Iron Boots circled the walls of Rone seven times before stamping with their left foot whereupon the City Walls that withstood the Antelope Lancers crumbled.

--Peter Metcalfe