Immortals vs. 'Heroes'

From: Charles Corrigan <charles_at_...>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 15:51:10 +0800

In the current discussion of Heroes and Immortals, there are two loosely connected sub-topics. One of these is about those who apotheosize and, I understand, most of Greg's recent writing in the area has gone into this, including his recently posted Lunar Immortals document.

I am quite interested in the topic of very powerful people (and others) that are still operating, as themselves, in the mundane world. Examples are Heroes (Broyan and Kallyr), Super-Heroes (Jar-Eel and Harrek) and Demi-Gods (Cragspider and Ralzakark).

I see that there are two obvious differences between these examples and other "normal" people. Most obviously, they have large groups of followers that (to at least some extent) worship them. And, or course, they have some personal powers in the appropriate 10m3 plus range.

But, in addition, there usually appears to be more - some intimate connection with an otherworld. Kallyr has the gem in her forehead and the implied connection to Rigsdal. Ralzakark seems to have multiple bodies. Cragspider controls the Black Dragon. Harrek has the White Bear skin.

What other ideas do we have on how these entities operate in general? For example, can they offer magic to their followers? f so, how? How does the number of their followers affect their personal abilities or the amount of magic they can offer? Once they reach a certain level of power, does the hero become the guardian for the followers? Does the Hero incurr any penalties for replacing the old guardian? What hoppens to the old guardian?

regards,
Charles