Re: distances between settlements

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 15:21:10 GMT

In message <20050705113517.87748.qmail_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>--- David Cake <dave_at_...> wrote:
>> And then there is Australia. In the state where I live ..
>> there are many parts of the state where you often drive 200 km
>> without passing *anything*, barely a single tree let alone any
>> evidence of human habitation apart from the road.
>> Just had lunch with a friend who last weekend drove 300km round
>> trip just to get to a decent cinema.
>
>And this sort of thing always leaves me completely
>baffled. Why not move to somewhere more reasonable?
>What is the point of being 300km from the nearest
>settlement, unless you REALLY hate company?
>
>Yes, I know, not exactly a Gloranthan question in that
>format, but it all feeds back into the generic "why do
>people choose to live where they do?". Maybe there's
>some group in Glorantha who have excellent reasons for
>living 300km from their neighbours, too.

150km sounds a long way until you realise that on open roads that's about a couple of hours drive. I think there'll be a lot of people in Glorantha who live a couple of hours ride from their neighbours and even more who live a couple of hours walk away. Heortlings probably consider themselves crowded if the nearest clan is less than a couple of hours walk away. Then there are the really unsocial people like Odayla cultists.....

People brought up in rural communities aren't comfortable with neighbours very close and conversely are used to travelling to get to somewhere of interest.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/