Re: distances between settlements

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:24:35 -0000

> Two hours walk, maybe, but that's closer to
> 15km than 150. Rural Britain has villages every 2-3 miles, because
pre-car,
> that was the distance that made sense. So why, given similar means of
> transport, did the pioneering Americans want to isolate themselves?

In my ancestors' case, unclaimed land. Everything east of the Mississippi was pretty much claimed (if not settled), but West was pretty much up for grabs.

However, the settlement of North America and Australia are relatively unique (the Spanish settlement of Central and South America followed very different patterns). The only obvious parallel in Glorantha that comes to mind is the settlement of Jrustela in the First Age.

Jeff