Re: Adaptation to cold

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:26:17 -0700 (PDT)

> From: "Mike Holmes" <mike_c_holmes_at_...>

> I think this is largely the case. I, for example,
> am fond of pointing out that I am largely immune
> to cold (Immune to Cold 5W) and that any
> temperature above 75 degrees farenheit has
> me running for air conditioning.

I'm the opposite, pretty much proving that your northern European types can adapt to heat. I have a quilt on the bed because my wife turns on the air conditioner whenever the temperature goes above 80. Cold seeps into your bones and doesn't go away until the heat returns (meaning 80 at a minimum). I start looking for sweaters when the temperature plummets below a shivering 65. Thankfully, winter is short in Dallas (and more wet than cold for all but a month or so). Much like Prax, I think, where the temperature is pleasantly warm and dry much of the time.

> Let's try to put some Glorantha spin back on
> this ball. I'm composed of German, Sweedish,
> and Scottish stock. Yeah, I'm your typical
> Heortling, I think.
> . . . I've always wondered if the Aryans
> migrated to northern europe because of the
> climate, or if they adapted to it when
> they got there. But as a whole, we're suited to
> it well, I think. At least as an example, I am.

Well, the adaptation to cold must not be genetic, because that's most of my ancestry, too. Of course, Heortlings and Praxians were somewhat related.

Chris Lemens

(Not an ad: If you have a little extra money to donate to a good cause, check out http://www.modestneeds.org/.)

Do You Yahoo!?