Re: Goddess Glorantha

From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:21:26 -0700 (PDT)

Kakegawa wrote:
> > I have a question. IIRC, there is no well known and actual
> > myth about Goddess Glorantha, the Goddess of the Universe.

> >Whether does this Goddess have origin, and why this world
> >grant Glorantha for the name?

Donald Grove replied:
> Ernaldan's claim that Glorantha was created by Maran Gor during the
> Green Age (Thunder Rebels pg. 60). I suspect other religions have
> different creation myths but I don't know of any that worship her
> as a goddess.

> From a game point of view I'd regard Glorantha as one of those
> incomprehensible beings that no PC understands or worships.

At the game level, I agree.

At the Glorantha Digest level, it is a little more complicated. My guess is that the Thunder Rebels myth is the simple form, told to children and trusted outsiders like the Lightbringer cults, rather than what the Devotees or any Disciples tell each other.

My guess is that She is a name in the Theogony, and mentioned in passing in a few myths, but little else. Furthermore, as she was known to have died when the Court died with the Cosmic Mountain, everyone knows that worshipping her directly is an utter waste of effort.

Of course, when I say "everybody knows" I mean everybody who doesn't know much. They "also know" that all the other Court members died there, except for Uleria. And Larnste, among His society in Heortland.  And possibly Kargan Tor, among Humakti (although I think that the subcult is more likely worshipping *in the manner of KT*, rather than of Him as a living [as much as any Humakti daimon/demigod/minor_god is] being). And probably other Court members, within other cults.

Thus, she will be mentioned, and thus receive very collateral worship, just as Zorak Zoran does from Ernaldans when they invoke him as a foe from whom they had to hide, or as Shargash does from Vingkotling rites naming as the foe who they first must defeat to get at the main Solars.

In game terms, this may become important to any brave groups willing to game late into the Hero Wars, near when Argrath decides to try the Net Ritual, when some Gods are already wandering the Earth, and when you are almost guaranteed to be Gregged even if you ARE Greg.

Thus, old and deep Asrelian myths, and what Lhankhor Mhy initiates have to memorize, will have more details, memorized by rote and recounted with exactitude but less understanding, probably in dialects of Earthspeech that were ancient even in the Lesser Darkness. And in that tongue, "Glorantha" (or its ancestral form) would, if it were not a proper name, be translated as "Universe", which is why Her name remains known in the Third Age. This is much as Gaea and Uranus are not just the names from an elder generation of Greek gods, but also mundane Hellenic words for land and the starry level of the sky.

Sell on Yahoo! Auctions � no fees. Bid on great items. http://auctions.yahoo.com/