Re: talking about the weather

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:41:32 -0700 (PDT)

Trotsky reponds to me:

> >Sweat. It's good for you.
> >
> And if you're sweating so much that you can't
> even see, because the sweat is running into
> your eyes and stinging, and yet you still
> feel uncomfortably hot, and the light is
> so blindingly bright that it physically
> hurts to open your eyes, even with a
> sweatband to protect them from the streams
> running down your face, . . . what then?

Then you are the perfect stead to raid.

Jane:
> "when a deep layer of prevailing wind is forced
> over a mountain range"
> "..As the wind descends to lower levels on
> the leeward side of the mountains, the air
> heats ...creating strong, gusty,
> warm and dry winds."
>
> So we need some mountains, with the prevailing
> wind blowing towards and over them. I know
> where mountains are in Glorantha, I'm less
> sure about the direction of prevailing winds.

In Prax, there are two mythicially significant winds. The first is the Storm Bull Winds. The Storm Bull winds blow in two opposite directions at once, but one direction is much more powerful than the other. The direction changes each year.

The second wind is the Rain Man wind. The Rain Man blows in from west to east and brings rain. When the Bull blows westwards, it is a drought year in Prax because the Storm Bull has gone to drink at his Little Brother's home. When Storm Bull blows eastwards, his Little Brother comes with him, and it is a fertile year in Prax. When Storm Bull blows north or south, it is neither a good year nor a bad year.

> "Winds of this type are called "snow-eaters"
> for their ability to make snow melt rapidly"

Though I don't know if the height of the Stormwalks is enough, it sounds to me like this could happen when Storm Bull blows west. I would think that Storm Bull will blow west strongly immediately after the Fimbulwinter, as his attention is fixed on the chaos afflicting his Little Brother's home.

Chris Lemens

(Not an ad: If you have a little extra money to donate to a good cause, check out http://www.modestneeds.org/.)

Do You Yahoo!?