Re: Challenging PCs in combat

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 07:51:31 -0000

> The way I work this is that what's sauce for the goose works fine
on the
> gander. Your PCS have five augments? Fine. So does the opposition.

Yes. Another problem you may have is that some of the players scour their character sheet for augments, others are not so bothered. There are a couple of resolutions to this, and these are house-type rules;

  1. Limit augments somehow. I allow kit + 3 relevant for example.
  2. Have an idea of what the total figure people are augmenting by on avaerage, and then apply that to the bad guys proportionately. This is not an exact science, just a guestimate. Say Fred is pulling together 6 augments for a total of +15 to his 15M spear * Shield combat. Tammy is puuling together +8 for hers. The rough average is +11 or +12. Add that to the bad guys. Just don't tell the players what you are doing. Maintain the illusion.
  3. Some narrators make it up on the fly depending on 'how tough the contest should be'. You need to be concious of your scaling here, and how tough you think they are 'compared to the world'. An 'average' clan weaponthane is about the 1m2 mark. The typical Lunar soldier is about 10m.
  4. Apply the 'buffing rule'. Only give people time to apply augments if they have time. Thus if they get suprised in combat, they only get their kit. If they want other stuff, then its unrelated action time!

Any help

Regards
Rob