Re: Challenging PCs in combat

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:44:28 -0000

> If I want to make an uneven contest, like "How many
> Troll ZZ devotees do I need to balance my 7 not all
> combat heroes?" how do I do that? I'd love to have
> them fight 3 or 4 'better' combatants and have to gang
> up on them.
>
> t.

Hi Tony (like your second name by the way!)

Well, what I would do is this;

Figure out what folk mostly rely on. For example the combat bunnies are going to rely on their fighting, the magic guys are going to rely on magic.

After a few sessions you should have a rough idea of what you group do in a group combat situation. Now all you have to do is devise a foe to challenge them.

The other thing is to give somethought to changing the focus of a contest. Its funny how many times you see in games a 10M2 fighter with a brave of 1M. Have the great troll hit him with blood curdling warcry of 15M! That should give you a moment of fun as the player turns white at the prospect of losing some AP! :^D

I don't tend to run many combats, but I do try to make them different or interesting (I hope).

Regards
Rob