RE: Challenging PCs in combat

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:01:09 +0100 (BST)

much good analysis - thanks!

> Suprised 8w2 - 17w2, midpoint of 13w2
> Some Notice 18w2 - 7w3, midpoint of 2w3
> Full Ritual Prep 8w3 - 9w4, midpoint of 18w3
>
> That's a range of about 25 points between best and
> worst readiness states. So if this guy is up against
> his peers and he catches them napping, he is evenly
> matched against *four* of them with a bit of notice
> and if he has time to gather allies and do lots of
> ritual preparation he can take on up to 32 of them
> with an evens chance of prevailing.

> Clearly it pays
> increasingly large dividends if you can wrong-foot
> your enemy's hero/superhero assets and catch 'em
> with their pants down

It's perhaps worth noticing the emphasis put on Ambush skills in OiD and other publications. Catching your enemy with their pants down, as you say.

And having thought about that, we then consider the Humakti objection to ambushes. And wonder to what extent all that combat magic and gifts on swords cancels out the advantage of ambush.

Jane Williams

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos http://uk.photos.yahoo.com