Re: The Best Way to be a Hero Re: HQ still doesn't make much sense was RE: Eurmali

From: Manuel MOLINIER <astaroth.maillist_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:58:30 +0200

The best way to be hero is not necessarily in common magic, which is very limited in itself (when I look each "religion" taken seperately it's the feeling I got). If you wish to get more you have to join other group/religion which are not always glad to teach you. This if you take appart the social aspect (what will your comrade say about you learning foreign/enemy magic by joining). Arkat might be a good exemple of joining new group for magic,let remember how people see him. Now let's talk about Heroquesting, what will your average common magic user do in Heroquesting ? Very much poorly as he will not be able to stand for any deity as an initiate or devotee might do. He didn't concentrate so if I remember well he get the alien world penalty right ? -20 on all his heroquests, let say he got a chalenge ... Regarding this I will probably not say that Broyan or Kallyr are not concentrated the way they Heroquest (and stand in for Deities on their heroquest). Now let's talk about secrets : Find me a good resurect spell in common magic. Show me Death secret ? Yes they are hard to get but you have to devote yourself for this Now yes you loose a little freedom on your magic for being concentrated but it's the only way to get to the upper magic.

Common magic is for person who rely on mundane abilities and wish a little help from their general worship. Initiation and devotion are another matter and bring you in the big arena of magic users.

of course YGWV.

Manuel

> > It is generally accepted that feats granted by
> deities are of a
> > higher power order than Heortling Talents.
>
> And here is a question. Where does the system show
> this? Outside of
> ritual roles (and I'm not sure how that applies to
> Wizardry, to be
> honest), is there anything that separates the two?
> It does seem that
> concentrating in common magic lets you do just about
> anything you want
> to for cheaper than other approaches. Why take all
> those cult
> limitations?

  Exactly! The rules don't give us any reason to   believe that a feat from a devotee is in any way   better than that of a common magic guy. Also, it   looks like the best way to be a hero is to be an   initiate (or some level) and keep your talents/common   magic... because then you have freedom to do your own   thing. No one becomes a god by being a disciple of a   god. Discipleship is for people with no imagination.   That's why you can't be a king if you're a disciple.   You have to be an initiate of two gods...

  t.

  Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
  Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.   http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS     a.. Visit your group "HeroQuest-RPG" on the web.

     HeroQuest-RPG-unsubscribe_at_yahoogroups.com