Re: Re: [HeroQuest-rules] Lapsed Issaries initiate

From: S. Ben Melhuish <sben_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:22:29 -0700

Light Castle wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-25-07 at 09:50 -0700, S. Ben Melhuish wrote (quoting HQ p104):
>>"Although common magic abilities cannot be used as to
>>'cause an active effect' (page 104), they can be used as resistance in a
>>contest, if the ability is appropriate.  Using an ability for resistance
>>does not count as using that ability actively in a contest."
 >
> The problem I have with that is that it deprotagonizes the character. A
> lot of these magics are things like "Mask conversation", "Slip by
> unseen", etc. I could rule that if he activates them, the challenge is
> by the watcher or eavesdropper, so he can use them actively. But really,
> if he is sneaking by, then he is active, and can only use it as an
> augment.
>
> He wanted to use them actively, and since I believe rolls generate with
> the PCs, he needed to be active in his use.

By "deprotagonizes the character", do you mean that using an ability defensively implies that the player is reacting to the GM's actions?

I certainly agree that in a simple contest, if the player says "I want to get into the trade association's compound", he couldn't use "Slip by unseen" as the primary ability; it could only be an augment. The player is initiating the action, and it's contrary to the letter and spirit of the HQ rules to have the GM be the primary actor (say, to have the guards detect the character).

However, if it were an extended contest, I believe the player could use "Slip by unseen" as his primary ability when it's the GM's turn to act.