Re: Re: [HeroQuest-rules] Lapsed Issaries initiate

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:38:37 -0400

On Wed, 2005-27-07 at 11:22 -0700, S. Ben Melhuish wrote:
> By "deprotagonizes the character", do you mean that using an ability
> defensively implies that the player is reacting to the GM's actions?

Pretty much. I try to keep the contests in my game initiated by the player in as many cases as possible. It's about their actions.

> I certainly agree that in a simple contest, if the player says "I want
> to get into the trade association's compound", he couldn't use "Slip by
> unseen" as the primary ability; it could only be an augment. The player
> is initiating the action, and it's contrary to the letter and spirit of
> the HQ rules to have the GM be the primary actor (say, to have the
> guards detect the character).

Exactly.

> However, if it were an extended contest, I believe the player could use
> "Slip by unseen" as his primary ability when it's the GM's turn to act.

Oh, I agree. But since extended contests are rare, it means I'd have to constantly be flipping it. But it works out ok, since his lack of faith or focus actually plays into his story well.

LC