Re: Re: [HeroQuest-rules] Lapsed Issaries initiate

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:29:59 -0400

On Thu, 2005-28-07 at 15:12 -0500, Mike Holmes wrote:
> I agree that generally the Passive/Active thing is problematic in general.
> There's far too much narrator fiat in determining when one should be used,
> and when another can be. That said:
>
> >From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
>
> This is a non-sequitur. That is, you can have contests that are not player
> initiated, and still have it all be about player action. There's a fallacy
> that says that in order for players to have something to do that they have
> to control the form of contests.

Yeah, protaganizing was a poor word choice, especially with Forgites on the list. :)

The point I was getting at was the active/passive one. I don't like the idea that if the player is trying to sneak on board a ship, the roll is entirely different if I decide that he is trying to sneak on the ship past the guard's resistance or the guard is trying to detect him sneaking on the ship.

LC