Re: Active/inactive

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 02:56:28 -0400

On Fri, 2005-29-07 at 07:01 +0100, Jane Williams wrote:

> Oh, so it isn't just me being stupid?

Nope. I'm just as stupid as you. :)

> Take my Humakti PC, with her "weapon destroyer" feat. If she was just going
> to use it to augment, she'd hit the other guy's weapon with her sword,
> hoping to get the right angle/power to break the weapon, and adding the
> magic to make this easier. But she's a Devotee. Before she even gets into
> melee range, she can chant, project a beam of black light at him, and watch
> his axe-head crumple into dust. (And then politely wait for him to re-arm
> before attacking, because she's an Honour nut!)

Stupid honourable Humakti. Unless as a narrator I ruled you had to touch the weapon to break it, this seems fine.

> But there, she's only using the one ability, and she's the protagonist, so
> it's pretty obvious it must be active use. Suppose he was the attacker, his
> aim was "hit her", hers was "avoid being hit", and her stated defence was
> that feat - as a defence, she can use it actively even if normally she
> couldn't, right? And the in-game actions would be *identical*.

Exactly. Even if she wasn't able to use it actively normally (let's say it was common magic and she wasn't concentrated), she could use it actively in defense.

> Suppose you're healing someone. You use your first aid ability (whch may be
> 6), and your "heal things" magic, whether that's a Feat, common magic, or
> whatever. You use them both at once. Obviously. Even if the first aid is
> just to recognise that the bit that needs healing is the bit that's bleeding
> a lot. So which is primary and which is an augment, and how does the
> Gloranthan character know?

Exactly. Is there a difference between an augment use and a non-augment use of magic to the Gloranthan Eye? I really am not sure.

LC