Re: Active/inactive

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:16:35 -0400

You know, if it really is just common magic that has this problem, maybe it's a non-issue? Anything that can be used as an active ability *is* being used the same way, even when used as an augment. (i.e. Your Quick Footed ability isn't different when you use to augment vs when you use it actively.)

The question becomes common magic. And perhaps, with concentration being rare, common magic used actively looks fundamentally different than it being used inactively. In a way, it isn't common magic anymore, it has been purified into one of the three forms. In the case of concentrated common magic, you've still made some kind of commitment to power.

But the ruling could just be that if it can be used actively (other than the unconscious in defense thing) then it looks differently than if it can't. Period, full stop.

Jane's devotee using her weapon breaker feat has it look basically the same whether she's using it to augment sword fighting or not. It's black light that shatters weapon. Maybe while augmenting she's got it playing along her sword. Maybe when augmenting she just shoots it out of her hand at the opponent's weapon while parrying. But either way, an initiate improvising it would look the same way (although maybe less impressively so), while an initiate using a Combat affinity to augment herself would have some kind of more quiet, diffuse magic, since the affinity itself can never be used actively except as a resistance.

LC