Re: "Please can I have...?"

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:38:35 -0400

I do like 'em. :)

I think they've just been waiting for a system that frees them up. In some ways, Kelson the merchant is the least creative. He's an attempt to do a character that was invented in DragonQuest years ago, but kept butting up against the rules. (Great concept, but making it do what the player imagined it doing was hard.)

Once I managed to unlearn the players from thinking DnD/White Wolf-style char gen, they have started to get into it. The later players have had the benefit of the earlier players struggling through it and helping to lead by example. (Thus getting things like this wonderful city guard suggestion.)

But most of the players are experienced adults who have always made interesting characters limited by the game mechanics and are starting to stretch in the freedom. The assassin was a gamble that looks like it is paying off. She's the 17-year old half-sister of my former girlfriend's wife. She's always been razor smart, and has turned into a gamer. I was pretty sure she would make the shift from "I blow it up" to doing interesting things with the character story. She's taken to it like a fish to water, just loving as I pile up complication after complication on her. That poison thing was originally intended to be her highest ability. Instead it has become "There/Not There" -- that ability to show up behind people and vanish when they aren't looking that mysterious figures like Batman, the Crow, and Angel have. She's happily giving herself flaws and playing them, and trying to find more ways to get herself into trouble. Her enthusiasm is also infectious and getting the older, more jaded players to up their game.

So yeah. I like my players. They're smart and fun.

LC