Re: Re: [HeroQuest-rules] Lapsed Issaries initiate

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:27:30 -0500

>From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>

>The point I was getting at was the active/passive one. I don't like the
>idea that if the player is trying to sneak on board a ship, the roll is
>entirely different if I decide that he is trying to sneak on the ship past
>the guard's resistance or the guard is trying to detect him sneaking on the
>ship.

Yes, here I agree. This is real fiat. No guidelines, no expectations set other than a "you'll know it when you see it" sort of suggestion.

This also goes for the "appropriateness" designation for when a mundane ability can be used to counter magic. Some people seem to believe that they've got a handle on when to say yes and when to say no, but I've never figured it out, personally.

In all these cases I tend to just decide in favor of the player. That is, if the player proffers "Dodge" to resist a bolt of lightning, I'll almost always allow this (though perhaps with improv mods). As far as resistance goes, I use 14 a whole lot. :-)

Mike