Re: Active/inactive

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:46:39 GMT

In message <20050729155627.46927.qmail_at_...> Jane Williams writes:
>> > I think perhaps we have a misunderstanding here? I
>> > suspect Donald was using "concentrating" in the normal
>> > English meaning of the word - "thinking hard about",
>> > roughly.
>>
>> In which case, OOPS, mea culpa. :-)

No, you're right. I was working from memory rather than checking the rulebook.

>> Wait, now I am confused. So our argument is that
>> augmented magic
>> requires you don't think about it? It gets to kick
>> in as an always on augment?
>
>er, no. I don't think that was what I meant.
>I think what I was trying to say is that active magic
>requires that you use it consciously and knowingly.
>Not automatically, not subconsciously, not as an
>instinctive response. I may be wrong, as always, but
>this looks to me like a useful avenue to explore.

That sounds like what I had in mind. A character decides to do something using magic or a skill - that's the active element. All the related skills and magic are augments.

Our problem seems to be players who find that their common magic is the best thing to use in a particular situation and want a way of doing just that. The character wouldn't think like that because they just can't do it.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/