Re: Digest Number 269

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 15:42:29 +1300

Martin Dick:

>My point is that Sartar's magic was all about nation building and
>peace and that he and his heirs used that magic to rule Sartar for
>over a century.

"nation building" and "rule" are probably overstatements IMO.

>[...] but I am trying to say
>that we should consider that there is also a strong current
>in Sartar for a return to rule of the heirs of Sartar

Like Temertain? You really have to quantify what you mean by "strong current". Everybody knows that life was better before the Lunars came and there is a fond nostalgia for those days. They also know that dreams of a return to such days are unrealistic because the only plausible claimant is a joke and the other contender only made things worse with her revolt.

Sartarites hate the Lunars because the Lunars are oppressing them with brutal rule and harsh taxes. Most of them would accept any regime (be it pharaoh, trolls, dragons, grazers) so long as they had the guarantee of better times. When Argrath does restore Sartar, his rule is probably much different from that of the old princes of Sartar but nobody will care too much.

>Sartar was an extraordinary man even in terms of Glorantha and his
>influence must have changed the Dragon Pass Orlanthi in major
>and lasting ways from the time before he came, all IMO of course.

He's not that extraordinary. Look up Hendreiki and the Larnsti of Heortland (Glorantha: Intro p142-3).

--Peter Metcalfe