Re: Digest Number 269

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 17:05:52 +1300

Martin Dick:

> >Elamle-Ata. He's said she was a superhero before but he's never
> >said anything about Sartar being one when he was on the Glorantha
> >Digest.

> From what Sandy said then, Elamle-Ata's achievements are very
>similar to those of Sartar's in terms of peacemaking, in what way
>do you think they differ from Sartar's?

Well for a starter, I don't know that much on Elamle-Ata or why she was so great. Sandy did say he'll go into details at a later stage but never got round to it unfortunately.

But if it is just peacemaking and state-building you are interested in, then there are several other heroes who have similar things. More dramatic examples than Sartar would be the Pharaoh making the Holy Country out of the different Kethaelan states and Khordavu resurrecting the ancient Dara Happan Empire out of warring factions.

> >I really have to doubt this. If Sartar was a superhero, then
> >he would have a _much_ wider influence than the Quivini
> >nation that he creates.

>Doubt that Sandy said this or doubt that Sandy was correct?

Doubt that Sartar was a superhero. Sartar is a pacifist hero, nobody disputes that, and Sandy has said that Elamle-ata may have been a superhero. I've been looking at the relevant debate in 1995 in which Sandy listed known superheroes*. He includes Elamle-ata and nobody mentions Sartar. If you really want a forensic analysis of what might have been said, all I can suppose is that you asked about pacifistic superheroes and he thought you were asking about pacifistic heroes and responded accordingly.

--Peter Metcalfe

*FWIW his list of Superheroes since time began: "Arkat. Sheng Seleris, Hon-Eel, Jar-Eel, Harrek" and "Hon Hoolbiktu and Elamle".