RE: Re: Casting feats on others

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 08:24:58 +0100

Mark:

> Some people regard such open-ended guidelines as a cop-put, others
> (myself included) see them as liberating. Now, in this context there
> is nothing wrong with presenting a personal view of why you think
> narrators ought not allow such feats to be used in this way, as you
> do very cogently. But the rules certainly do not prevent this
> putative Vingan from taking her chums into the treetops.

And my original question was what was regarded as being the norm, by Gloranthans and by the game designers. I'm happy to vary from that norm, but as we were saying on another thread, setting the limits of possibility does not give us a probability curve or a benchmark.

If I write a story that has the Vinag's friends all stuck on the ground because they can't run on trees, would readers go "huh? Why didn't she just cast it on them?" If I wrote it so they all merrily leap up and run away, would readers go "but you can't do that!"? Or what?

It sounds as if in fact she might try it, and might succeed, and if it worked people would go "wow!"