RE: Active/inactive

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 23:45:59 +0100

> Bear with me for being WAY behind. I have been out in the woods;
> drinking mead, telling stories, and dancing around the fire.

This sounds like an excellent use of time, and a nice way to get the "feel" of living in Glorantha.

> On Fri, 2005-29-07 at 16:56 +0100, Jane Williams wrote:
> > What cases do we have where magic cannot be used
> > actively? Can all of those be recognised as situations
> > where the magic is instinctive, not fully understood,
> > or only happening in response to an "attack" - like my
> > own "teleport across room" feat that I can only use on
> > being surprised by a large spider?
>
> I don't think that works. I would say that is defense, which the rules
> let you use the magic as active, rather than as an augment-only.

Sorry, I worded it badly. This is, I agree, a case of an ability only being able to be used in defense, and hence suddenly going "active". Active use would appear to be very much more spectacular than augment use, since I don't normally teleport at all. But it does suggest that whatever it is, I'm unconcentrated in it.