Re: Re: Lunar Common magic

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 16:24:46 -0700

Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:
> Andrew S. wrote:
>>Can we assume that there is a Lunar variety of common magic, then?
>

> Yes. (didn't I already say this?)

Yup--I missed your post (catching up on a pile of email after a weekend away). Sorry!

==

Stewart Stansfield wrote:

>>Does this mean all those 7Moms common magics are off-limits to
>>people who've concentrated in any non-Lunar otherworld?
>
> Er, that depends on whether 7Moms common magics are actually
> cyclical and Moon-derived, and the possible implication is that not
> all are. I'll let wiser heads pronounce on that one.

One possibility that may help here, at least with the missionary cults, is misapplied worship.

That is--consider the 7Moms subcult of Yanafil Tarnils. Assume he provides common-magic Lunar feats (I *think* it's feats--let's assume so.) Since they're Lunar, they're available at half-cost to people who've concentrated in Lunar magic (or, presumably, selfrock). They're available at full cost to people who are not concentrated. They are unavailable to people who've concentrated in Theism...

*unless* Yanafil, as a good missionary, is willing to accept misapplied worship. Non-misapplied worship of Yanafil would be "lunar worship"--but it may be that he's willing to accept (misapplied) non-Lunar, theistic worship from barbarians. In exchange, he provides non-Lunar feats--probably pretty much the same as the Lunar feats he provides, with the difference that (a) they cost full-cost to everyone, and (b) they're available to people who concentrate in (non-Lunar) theism.

Similarly, there may be two Jakaleel common-magic traditions--a Lunar one, and a (misapplied worship) non-Lunar animist one; and so on for the other Moms (and possibly for other missionary-oriented Lunar cults, like Etyries). An outsider with concentrated non-Lunar magic could still have access to those deities' magic, through misapplied worship. Then, presumably, if the outsider converts to full-on Lunarism, he would switch his concentration from "Theism" to "Lunar"; and he'd be able to transfer his existing "Misapplied theistic worship of Yanafil" skill to "Lunar worship of Yanafil", perhaps with a transitional penalty.

Does this sound reasonable?

--AMS