Re: Common Magic Power Level

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 20:46:48 -0400

On Fri, 2005-29-07 at 15:22 -0500, Mike Holmes wrote:
> No, you're missing my point. I assume that those things are all in place, or
> you can't have a good game. But they don't substitute for good rules. It's
> just that sometimes the examples are the rules.

OK, that's fine.

> Now, with common magic, I think that once the players have read through the
> lists of what's common magic, they are similarly informed about what's
> appropriate.

And that's where I disagree. Because I see just as many things in specialized magic that seem like they would fit in with those common magics that are "homey" and bunches of common magics that read as "powerful". Especially as you branch across the many books and not just the HQ book itself.

> How about this - if you specialize in an otherworld, you can keep all of
> your common magic. I mean, if you really want to twink out a character, you
> just make your devotee have all CM feats, and he gets to use them all
> actively, I think. In any case, he gets to retain them. Concentrating in CM
> doesn't allow a character to retain any specialized magic, I don't think.

Nope. Your solution would be the maximum twinkishness, except for the cult restrictions.

> I don't think that's correct. That is, I think Teshnos is written the way it
> is intentionally. Further, I think that if you read back to the threads on
> it, that you'll find it has some certain limits of it's own.

I think it was on an earlier thread that it was written that way because they don't have mysticism rules.

> In fact, there are folks, you know, who think that all of the rules for
> differentiating magic types are all overblown and that Hero Wars was
> actually better on that score just by having them all be abilities like any
> other.

Now, I can agree with that. In fact, that would remove a lot of this problem. But apparently the 3 worlds thing is important to Glorantha.

LC