Re: Troll writing?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:55:30 GMT

In message <20050803120132.57042.qmail_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>I have a vague memory from somewhere of trolls having
>some sort of writing, working of course by Darksense
>not sight and vaguely analogous to Braille. Can anyone
>tell me where I can find out more, whether it still
>exists in New Glorantha, and who would be able to read
>it?

I've the same vague memory which means either RQII Trollpack or the Unspoken Word's Uz book. I can't find it in the latter but there's a very good explanation of darksense on page 17.
>From that I'd expect Uz writing to be carved into a surface
or raised from it - i.e. something they could bounce sound off.

As for who can read it - some trolls obviously but it's hardly a literate society. Other than that a few scholars who spent the time learning to read it by touch but probably missing some subtleties.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/