Re: Common Magic Power Level

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:59:39 -0400

On Wed, 2005-03-08 at 13:15 -0500, Mike Holmes wrote:

> Well, maybe I'm only paying attention to the HQ book. But this is largely
> going to come down to personal perception.

Oh, I realize that. (Which is why I think we've pretty much hit the impasse.) One thing that occurred to me is that a fair number of other sources (Thunder Rebels, Storm Tribe, OiD, etc) were written as part of Hero Wars. HW, if I recall, had no common magic. So the fact that a bunch of magics there shown in cults feels indistinguishable from Common Magic may just be an artifact of the rules change. (Just as Lunar Magic will have this happen post ILH-2 coming out.)

> The only data point that I can
> provide is that I've never seen the behavior you claim will happen. Everyone
> I've played with has a vision of common magic that makes it less than the
> ultimate form of magic.

The only player using it is using it for utility, not ultimate power.

> No doubt it's important, but the question is whether or not the structures
> really add to our understanding of the in-game situation, or just make it
> harder to understand. The rules don't have any mechanical differences
> between "ranged combat" and "close combat" yet that works just fine with one
> system. Why should magical differences have mechanical representation?

I don't know. I'm not arguing it wouldn't be easier in some ways if it worked the same way.

LC