Re: In Wintertop's Shadow

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 13:16:26 GMT

In message <006701c59c03$d99f7c30$ed382152_at_lisa> "CJ" writes:

> Hi chaps, just been reading IWS (In Wintertop's Shadow) with a view
>to running an Exiles campaign. I ran yesterday the old Tarsh War
>freeform, so my players are roughly familiar with the background,
>albeit from a completely different map and a Lunar perspective.
>
>And it is maps which is causing me confusion. In the scenario The
>Tars Gor the heroes travel from Korlokstead to the Bush Range. While
>trying to trace the route on the map I discovered I was totally
>confused - they seem to have gone far south, then looped back up
>north, passing through Wintertop? Why not go through the Exile Wilds,
>saving maybe two days travel? I am even confused by something as basic
>as where the Shaker Temple is - at Maranaba? I find references to the
>Lion River, but I can't find it on the map, and to the Giant Haunted
>Dangmar's Pass - maybe I am just stupid, but I can't find that Pass on
>the map either?
>
>I noted in one other place the compass direction of Korlokstead from
>Mt. Kero Fin was wrong - was the supplement originally written with
>a different map? Am I just confused by those little things which sit
>on the edge of the universe and nibble, whose names I forget, or has
>too much consorting with Lunars finally rendered me Lune struck?
>Anyone able to help???

The current authorative map is the one in Dragon Pass. In Wintertop's Shadow is recent enough to be pretty close although there may be differences. Tarsh War is eight years old so I would expect a fair number of discrepancies.

To be quite honest until DP came out I'd never been able to be sure what was where - there are too many maps at different scales and showing different features.

Of course there's also the point that no one on Glorantha has an accurate map and different people use different names for the same place. Equally a party of travellers may take what appears to be a longer route because that's the way they know or to avoid enemies.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/