Re: Extreme heroquesting (was Re: Wizardly HQing_)

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:08:50 -0700

parental_unit_2 wrote:

> Do you think that Ernalda has any myths that enable her worshippers to
> heroquest as the main character and actually bring back some major
> magical benefit, as opposed to just learning known feats as a
> low-level supporter? It's clear that Vinga does, and of course Orlanth
> does.

In one or another of her aspects, Ernalda is custodian of all the treasures of the earth. Not to mention that one of her spirits of reprisals specifically goes into the mortal world and steals the transgressor's treasure, carrying it off into the earth. I'd think an Ernaldan hero could quest to get one of those treasures--and could certainly quest for information, like a way to perform a powerful, forgotten ritual.

(In the case of the spirit of reprisal, "Thunder Rebels" specifically says the transgressor can only get it back with a heroquest--and if he doesn't, wouldn't the treasure stay around, so someone *else* can get it with a heroquest? Stands to reason! And time is very squishy on the hero plane, so you could be questing to "recover" something stolen away by the spirit a thousand years from now.)