Re: Extreme heroquesting (was Re: Wizardly HQing_)

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:33:58 -0700

Charles Corrigan wrote:
> --- In HeroQuest-RPG_at_yahoogroups.com, Andrew Solovay wrote:
>
>>I'd think an Ernaldan hero could quest
>>to get one of those treasures--and could
>>certainly quest for information, like a
>>way to perform a powerful, forgotten
>>ritual.

> My understanding is that only a very powerful heroquest(er) can bring
> a physical object back from the other side. However, the "easy" (hah!)
> way around this is to bring back a daimone (or spirit or essense) that
> is willing to inhabit an appropriate object.

Well, say you know that Wicked Queen Hrothga owned the Basket of Plenty, but when she greedily kept the food to herself, Ernalda stole the basket away. You could run the "beg Ernalda for the basket back please" quest bringing a basket along with you to the hero world, and when the quest succeeds, the basket you bring turns out to be the Basket of Plenty. (Whatever it is that Ernalda took, she's returned; you just provide the material framework.)

It's harder if you don't *know* what the tresure is, though--you won't have a suitable object prepared. In that case, you might need to run two heroquests--one to find out what treasure you want, and a second to actually get the treasure.