RE: Magic systems and the nature of Glorantha

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:10:24 -0500

Sorry I got backlogged on this one, Luke. Thanks for responding. Reply inline below.

>From: "Silburn, Luke" <luke.silburn_at_...>

>>What is it that's missing?

>Elements are there of course - we know that 10w-10w2 is the best ability
>for 'clan level' characters and 10w2-10w3 is the best ability for
>'tribe/nation level' characters and so on - but that's at best a partial
>picture, since the final effectiveness of a character is hugely dependant
>upon how many augmentations they can bring to bear on a contest and, as was
>demonstrated in my recent exchange with David Dunham, assumptions about the
>typical number and scale of augmentations can vary a lot.

This one has come up before. Don't augment for NPCs. The "Best Ability" chart is a column of the "Resistance" chart. Saying to me, "use their best ability as the resistance."

>So I have nothing to base a reasonable 'GM-pushback' to the natural
>inclination of my players with an eye on theistic concentration to opt for
>100% feats in their CM selection.

I've said this before, the PCs may be unique - don't push back. Sure, they may be the only ones this way (or it may be common). Don't base your limits on what's the norm, however. Let the players "twink" their characters. In HQ it works fine.

No, this doesn't tell you how many Orlanthi might do this. But I think it gives you plenty enough to play.

>Same goes for a spiritist practitioner PC who opts to take the five
>starting spirits they get at the maximum rating given in the write-up for
>their practise

Narrator sets the spirit levels, not the player. I'd personally probably allow any reasonable set, but all maxed out, no. Not because it's abuse, however. Simply because it's not thinking about what the spirits are like. That said, I, too, find it hard to rate spirits. Truth be told, I treat them by the importance of their themes. How close are they to the core of the religion or practice? Those I rate higher. But I think you sorta can't go wrong here. Just present the results confidently.

In any case, you do have the listed traditions and practices to give you a general guideline. Just like the example abilities give you an idea of what the appropriate scope is for any ability the player comes up with.

Mike