Re: Initate to Devotee

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:49:05 GMT

In message <42FD0310.6060806_at_...> Andrew Solovay writes:
>donald_at_... wrote:
>>
>> I think the Lunars are better organised - they have priestesses
>> out looking for the signs so they can induct the people into the
>> right cult early on (or kill them if it's an enemy cult).
>
>Kill them? Wasteful! Remember the old Lunar saying: "An enemy is just a
>friend you haven't co-opted yet." A properly trained Lunar who is called
>to an enemy cult might be just the tool you need to subvert that cult.
>("Vinga? Why, she's She Who Waits! Here's the proof!")

Vinga's not an enemy cult, a bit dodgy because of her association with Orlanth but that's all. About the only absolutely enemy cult is Orlanth but individual Lunars may draw the line slightly wider and include some chaos cults as well.

I'm not sure it's possible to detect devotees all that early either, probably not before the age when they are normally initiated. Which is a bit late to be starting indoctrination.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/