Sacred Time rituals in play

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 05:40:06 -0000

Here's an example of Sacred Time rituals in play. My band of Heortlings are currently in Balazar and decided to perform the Sacred Time rituals on the Otherside. Because they are away from most of their sources of support and are outside of the traditional Heortling lands, the rituals were harder and more dangerous than normal. Good fun all around - enjoy!

The Trilus Lightbringers were excited at the possibility of doing the proper Sacred Time rites. However, we didn't have a Trickster, so we asked Dushi Sone. A year ago, a young Balazaring man had been brought to her, to be healed of madness. Since she hadn't been able to shout out the Trickster in him, he was sent into the wilds. We were shown to where people left food for him. We waited there until he arrived, and captured him. Korlmhy performed the ritual to bond him. We called him Dogboy. The Balazarings weren't at all pleased, and he began stealing from us.

The ritual positions for the Lightbringers Quest were Orlanth: Korlmhy
Issaries: Jorator
Lhankhor Mhy: Bluebird
Chalana Arroy: Dushi Sone

Flesh Man: Herger
Trickster: Dogboy
Ginna Jar: Kaylin

On Together Day, Orlanth designated Brenna as thane. The questers passed to the Otherworld with great ease. Kaylin and Kagradorl's love for each other was strong. Brenna guarded the camp. She was confronted by the Author of Sores, and suffered wounds.

On I Fought We Won Day, Brenna found herself at the Fortress of Wakboth, and attacked, fighting a horrible Chaos monster to a standstill while taking minor damage. Dorasa found herself in a marsh, and saw a pride of pumpkin-headed bears. She shot one, but the other two tried to hypnotize her. Nisk had to deal with a horde of greyskins who collectively seemed like a gigantic gorp.

The questers were ambushed by ice demons during the Westfaring. Korlmhy used Valindkanth to drive them off.

During the descent, Flesh Man had to guide them, but got lost. Orlanth became afraid. Ginna Jar kept the group from fighting among themselves.

Because of their many minor defeats, the Lightbringers lost some of their weapons and gear, and had do abandon several other items they carried. In the Obsidian Palace, Subere, the priestess of Darkness and keeper of the cellars for the Only Old One, greeted the Lightbringers in a friendly and proper manner and invited them to a feast. At the feast, Dogboy stole from their hostess, and killed one of her servers. The denizens of darkness seized the group, stripped them naked and cast them into Subere's Pit.

However, Dogboy found Korlmhy in the Deepest Hell and brought him the Hidden Spark. Korlmhy then found the Deeper Path leading out of Subere's Pit. There he confronted his Nightmare. All of Korlmhy's ancestors proclaimed him a failure, but he recited his deeds. His descendents then betrayed him, but he exerted his authority. The dead tried to drive him mad, but Korlmhy called on the Vostangi ghosts to aid him. Then the darkness itself tried to drive him insane. But Korlmhy held on to the Hidden Spark and found the other Lightbringers. Jorator found the Secret Path that allowed them to pass from the trackless Underworld into the Hall of the Dead. Orlanth performed the Three Challenges and gained entry into the Hall of the Dead. It was filled with dead gods, horrified that the Emperor's murderer had arrived there. The Lightbringers presented themselves to Maggotliege, the Emperor of the Dead. Korlmhy proved that, as Orlanth, he had a right to be there. He made atonement and the Emperor acknowledged that High King Orlanth and all he stood for truly deserved a place in the universe and that all hatred between Emperor and High King would be healed. The gods then performed the Ritual of the Net. When Wakboth arrived to claim what is due to him at the End of the World, it is defeated by Orlanth and his allies and its multiple bodies and spirits are captured, tied up and burned in fire.

The Lightbringers returned with much ceremony and celebration. A feast was held for all the celebrants. Bluebird performed the rites of Prophecy Day. He warned: "The Red Daughter of the Corn Queen comes south, and another great man will fall." "Orlanth had to choose between kinstrife and outlawry." "Beware the fat foreign merchant." He also gave a blessing: "Orlanth will bless us as we travel among strangers."