RE: Re: Sacred Time rituals in play - saga style

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:46:48 +0100

> And yet, strangely enough, many people read and enjoy sagas.

Very strangely. I'm still hoping to understand why.

> Jane, you have every right to say that you don't enjoy or understand
> sagas or feel engaged by the characters, but to make this blanket
> statement...?

You want me to put "IMO" before and after every paragraph? Every sentence? Every word? I can if you like, but I doubt if there'll be any benefit.

> Besides, the very style as much as anything else opens a window not
> just into the aesthetics of a certain time and culture but also into
> what they regarded as important.

Yes - things that they haven't written down! That's half the problem. The names do things for reasons and motives that aren't stated and aren't obvious.

>Think of the sagas as adventures in cultural
> anthropology, if that helps you give them another try!

I could - as I say, as source documents for study, fine. But I'm being told they're good as fiction. And just about everything that makes fiction interesting to read is being skipped.