RE: Re: Sacred Time rituals in play - saga style

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 02:01:54 +0100

> Rolling against a personality ability (or augmenting with one) does
> not require me to hear that character's internal dialogue.

Then what do you require? Just "I augment with my Brave"? No more? No IC text, just OOC? "I use my Sword skill, augmented by a named sword, Strong and love family", not "I swing Cleaver at his head with all my strength, burning with rage at the insult to my family?"

> The fact
> that Nisk is extremely brave is an objective fact, not a subjective
> thought.

As presumably is his "love family" and so on - the subjective/objective thing doesn't really come in to it, does it? Emotions happen inside people's heads. If you're going to use one as inspiration, that inspiration will happen inside their head, so that's the most likely place for it to be described. Well, unless they stand there and explain things out loud to some random passer-by. "You killed my father, prepare to die", and so on.

> Fwiw, most of my players' personality abilities or
> relationships could come straight out of a saga.

I've got no idea what you mean by that.

> However, this discussion of comparative literary preferences is
> probably better suited for the digest.

Then by all means switch this list to Digest mode if that's your preference, and lets keep talking about varying methods of playing HQ. It sounds as if you allow lists of skills and augments without their use being narrated IC - is that right?