Re: Sacred Time rituals in play - saga style

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:42:09 -0700

Jane

>what prevents both this and the Sagas from being a readable story
>... is that there's nothing to get the reader interested in the
>characters. There aren't any characters. Just a list of names.

Pretty clearly you haven't actually read any of the good sagas. Egil (not surprisingly) is a major character in Egil's Saga. Njall and his pal Gunnar in Njall's Saga. And while women don't go adventuring, there are strong female characters in Laxdaela Saga.

The three I mentioned are probably the most readable of all the Icelandic sagas. It's possible all of them start with a chapter or so of genealogy (I don't have them on the bus to check), but if so, the story soon begins.

> > Personally, I'm not a huge fan of internal dialogue.
>
>So how do you do the IC for HQ personality traits, relationships, mental
>abilities... in fact, most of the system?

IC? If this means Internal Conflict, presumably it's, um, internal.

Oh, In Character. You've lost me then, I don't see the relevance between doing things in character and with external dialog.

> > Do I "know" how characters "feel" in a movie, television or in real
> > life?
>
>I don't know - I certainly do in books. The character who's being used as
>view-point at, least.

One style of book, at least. You're assuming an omniscient viewpoint, I believe.

Not in most movies or TV shows though.

In any case, I will now confess that I make the campaign sagas. I only have time to do so during the game. And their purpose is to keep track of what happened.

I suppose since Rob at least is interested, I may think more about putting these online (Jeff has been after me to do so).

--

David Dunham