"What's important" - differing play styles

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:46:45 +0100 (BST)

Me:
> > Which makes me go "aargh", and wonder how to
> rewrite it for any chronicles!

Rob:
> Which of course you can't, as who would like to
> record every augment
> of every die roll to put into the write up. You put
> down the stuff that is important.

And that sounds as if you'd have a contest, complete with augments, for something that you *didn't* think was important?

I know we've always said extended is only for things you think are REALLY important, but to what extent do you do even simple contests for things you aren't all that interested in?

Am I being totally heretical as a GM in saying things like "yes, it probably is quite difficult to get out of Pavis and into the Rubble with that many Lunars looking for you, but since you've got a vague idea how to do it and no-one really cares, let's say it worked, and get on with the story"?

and going back to my "aaargh!", that's in part because I'm just not good enough with words to ever explain things properly in "real time". Not to my own satisfaction, anyway, just at "it'll do" level. So in F2F gaming, "that'll do" level is all you ever get from me :(
Sorry. I'm just inadequate as a player. I should practise more....

Jane Williams