Re: "What's important" - differing play styles

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:07:43 -0000

Sometimes yes I ask people to roll. Sometimes they augment with one ability sometimes not, depending on what we are looking for. All I am saying is that I don't bother remembering all the things folk augment with when I am writing up a game log, saga style or otherwise.

> Am I being totally heretical as a GM in saying things
> like "yes, it probably is quite difficult to get out
> of Pavis and into the Rubble with that many Lunars
> looking for you, but since you've got a vague idea how
> to do it and no-one really cares, let's say it worked,
> and get on with the story"?

Not at all. The rule is only if its 'fun to do so', if you as the GM have a 'bang' to throw in at a critical moment. In fact the rules even empower you to let the hero succeed if its something no hero would fail at (competence level of the hero factored in).

A GM may even allow the player to narrate,

"yes, I know it is quite difficult to get out of Pavis and into the Rubble with that many Lunars looking for me, but since you've I have a vague idea how to do it and no-one really cares, shall we say it worked, and get on with the story"?

> and going back to my "aaargh!", that's in part because
> I'm just not good enough with words to ever explain
> things properly in "real time".

Tosh! I always think you explain very eloquently!!

> Not to my own
> satisfaction, anyway, just at "it'll do" level.

Ahhh. Thats a different matter. We can be our own worst critics!

> So in F2F gaming, "that'll do" level is all you ever get
> from me :(
> Sorry. I'm just inadequate as a player.

Your having a laugh surely??!!! :^D

> I should practise more....

Oh I get you!! Yes more practice required Jane!! F2F gaming at least once a week!!! Can't have to much gaming eh? lol

Best regards
Rob